CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
PARENT-TEACHER LEAGUE OF BELVOIR CHRISTIAN ACADEMY OF FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH AND GOOD SHEPHERD LUTHERAN CHURCH, CHATTANOOGA, TENNESSEE
ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of this organization will be the Parent-Teacher League of Belvoir Christian Academy of First Lutheran Church and Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Chattanooga, Tennessee. The official signature will be Belvoir Christian Academy PTL.
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
- The purpose shall be to help parents and teachers work together in the Christian training of the children of Belvoir Christian Academy.
- To achieve this purpose the Parent-Teacher League (PTL) shall by means of its programs of education and activities:
- Help parents understand and appreciate their children and provide parents with the necessary skills for the Christian nurture and training of their children.
- Help teachers understand the need of the Christian home and extend their influence into the family, and;
- Help develop a closer relationship between the home and Belvoir Christian Academy as well as cooperation between parents and teachers.
ARTICLE III: GOVERNING BODY
First Lutheran Church and Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, through the Board of Directors of Belvoir Christian Academy, are recognized as the directing and controlling bodies. The PTL organization will not seek to direct the administration of the school or to control its policies.
ARTICLE IV: MEMBERSHIP
- Membership in the PTL shall be open to:
- All parents and guardians who have children enrolled at Belvoir Christian Academy;
- All pastors of First Lutheran Church and Good Shepherd Lutheran Church;
- All teachers and staff members of Belvoir Christian Academy; and
- All others upon application and approval by the PTL Executive Board.
- All members shall be entitled to participate in all the activities of the PTL and shall have the right to vote. In order to carry out the objectives of the PTL, there shall be a majority of the PTL Executive Board whom shall be communicant members of a congregation of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod.
ARTICLE V: EXECUTIVE BOARD, OFFICERS AND COMMITTEES
1. Executive Board
The Executive Board shall consist of the elected officers of the PTL, a staff member of Belvoir Christian Academy, and the chairperson and/or co-chairperson of each PTL Committee. The Executive Board shall integrate and coordinate the plans of the several committees. It shall also evaluate the programs and activities of the PTL with the view of fulfilling the objectives and budget of the organization.1. Officers
- President – The President shall preside at all meetings of the PTL General Membership and Executive Board. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees, appoint all chairpersons and committees not otherwise provided for, and shall have general supervision of all PTL activities.
- Vice President – The Vice President shall generally assist the President. In absence of the President, or at the President’s request, the Vice President shall perform the duties of the President.
- Recording Secretary – The Recording Secretary shall permanently record the proceedings of all PTL General Membership meetings and Executive Board meetings and keep a record of attendance of each Board meeting.
- Corresponding Secretary – The Corresponding Secretary shall attend to all correspondence of the PTL, be responsible for notifying members of the Executive Board of Board meetings, and be available in the absence of the Recording Secretary to take the minutes of meetings.
- Treasurer – The Treasurer shall receive and disburse all PTL monies as ordered by the PTL or the Executive Board and shall submit a current financial report at each PTL meeting and a comprehensive report at the end of each school year. The Treasurer shall also prepare a Proposed Budget for the following school year and present it to the Executive Board in May for approval.
To achieve the purpose and objectives of the PTL, Committees shall be appointed by the Executive Board. Each Committee shall hold one voting position on the PTL Executive Board. The following committees which may be adjusted by the Executive Board from time to time, shall be appointed:
- Fundraising Coordinator
- Home Room Parent Liaison
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Christmas Float Coordinator
- Carnival Chairperson
- Candy Cane Shop Chairperson
- Sock Hop Chairperson
- Landscaping Coordinator
- Staff Appreciation Coordinator
- Such other committees as may be needed on occasion.
ARTICLE VI: ELECTION OF OFFICERS
Election of officers shall be held during the last PTL General Membership meeting of the school year. Those elected will assume their duties on June 1for a one year term.
- The Executive Board will present a slate of officer candidates. PTL members may make additional nominations from the floor prior to the election with the consent of the nominee. The candidate receiving a majority of the votes shall be declared elected.
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of President, the Vice President shall succeed to the office of President for the remainder of the term or at the Vice President’s request, a new President may be elected at the next PTL General Membership meeting. In the event of a vacancy in the office of Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Recording Secretary or Corresponding Secretary, the vacancy shall be filled by election at the next PTL General Membership meeting. Nominations are to be made from the floor at that time. The candidate receiving a majority of the votes shall be declared elected.
- Election of an individual to office immediately excluded that individual for candidacy as chairperson for any PTL committee until their office has expired.
ARTICLE VII: AMENDMENTS
This Constitution or any of its By-Laws may be amended by a majority of the members present at a regular meeting of the PTL. Notice of the proposed amendment shall be distributed in writing to the general membership prior to the meeting. Passed amendments shall be noted in the Secretary’s copy of the Constitution as they occur.
ARTICLE VIII: DISSOLUTION
In the event that this organization shall be dissolved at any time, any assets on hand shall become property of First Lutheran Church and Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
ARTICLE I: MEETINGS
- There shall be a minimum of three (3) regular meetings of the PTL membership during the school year, the first of which shall be in September.
- Meetings of the Executive Board shall be held monthly.
- Deviations from regularly scheduled meetings will be at the discretion of the Executive Board.
- All meeting will be conducted using “Robert’s Rules of Order.”
ARTICLE II: DUES
A free-will offering will be accepted at each meeting in lieu of regular dues. Members unable to attend may send their free-will contribution to the Treasurer. Such monies are to be used to support PTL operations unless otherwise designated by the Executive Board.
ARTICLE III: AUDITING
At the Executive Board’s discretion, the Treasurer’s books shall be audited at the end of each school year. The auditors are to be appointed by the President.